Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
In reply to klimbkat, 6 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

I want value for money and the 20-40 just doesn't give it

Pretty much everyone who owns the lens and has used it in the field disagrees with this. The size, range, WR, etc. of the DA 20-40 Ltd. may not be what you are after, but there is no other offering by Pentax or others that delivers what this little package does. The MTF measurements are in the range of other good Pentax glass, near to what the primes produce, but do not really measure "rendition." I've had the DA* 16-50 since 2008, and while I like it and have used it a lot (10s of thousands of shots), it is much larger (bigger holster and case), much heavier, and does not deliver better IQ or rendition than the DA 20-40. In fact, in the f8 to f16 landscape range I typically shoot, the DA 20-40 seems cleaner and sharper with better color rendition and micro contrast. Thus, there is plenty of value to me, the same kind of value I see in the limited primes like the DA 15, the FA 43, and the DA 70, but with zoom flexibility and WR.

The DA 18-55 WR offers the same, but for much cheaper.

Seriously? I guess that if the 18-55 meets your needs, who can possibly argue with that?

-- hide signature --

Doug

-- hide signature --

-Hi Doug,

Yes, looked at from that point of view, WR, compact excellent construction, HD coatings, built in motor (not that fast) and at $600 I would agree with you! however, frankly my Tamron 17-50 will beat it on resolution and with a much more useful zoom range (3X vs 2X) and it's pretty much tack sharp from F4/4.5 at all focal lengths, probably only losing on flare, but it's not a weak point on the Tamron, plus the AF is the pretty rapid screw drive. OK, it's certainly not a jewel visually, at a third of the price. The DA 20-40 should have been tack sharp across the frame at F4 put simply!

Hi citrontokyo,

I have the WR DA 18-55 (in fact it's my second copy) and it's a fair lens for a fair price, but, let's not get carried away here! it's lesser performance limits it to amateur general usage for which it was designed for, resolution is fair, flare is less than fair, in "no" way is it comparable to the DA 20-40, which I think is very fair!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow