Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
In reply to klimbkat, 6 months ago

citrontokyo wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

I want value for money and the 20-40 just doesn't give it

Pretty much everyone who owns the lens and has used it in the field disagrees with this. The size, range, WR, etc. of the DA 20-40 Ltd. may not be what you are after, but there is no other offering by Pentax or others that delivers what this little package does. The MTF measurements are in the range of other good Pentax glass, near to what the primes produce, but do not really measure "rendition." I've had the DA* 16-50 since 2008, and while I like it and have used it a lot (10s of thousands of shots), it is much larger (bigger holster and case), much heavier, and does not deliver better IQ or rendition than the DA 20-40. In fact, in the f8 to f16 landscape range I typically shoot, the DA 20-40 seems cleaner and sharper with better color rendition and micro contrast. Thus, there is plenty of value to me, the same kind of value I see in the limited primes like the DA 15, the FA 43, and the DA 70, but with zoom flexibility and WR.

The DA 18-55 WR offers the same, but for much cheaper.

Seriously?  I guess that if the 18-55 meets your needs, who can possibly argue with that?

If you check out the Lens Tip review of the 18-55, you'll see that it gets a very similar summary list of pros and cons, with the significant difference being in price.

Once price enters into the equation, it's hard to justify buying the DA 20-40 while the 18-55 is available, or indeed, included with your camera.

Furthermore, all this talk about it being a great landscape lens when stopped down means very little. There are a multitude of lenses that perform similarly, when stopped down, and the 18-55 is one. It's also light, small and WR.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow