MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,086
Like?
Re: MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?
In reply to Godfrey, 8 months ago

Godfrey wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

In terms of objective elements of IQ, I think it's pretty straight forward. However, I would hope that you would agree with me when I say that IQ is, at best, merely a component of what makes a photo "successful". Indeed, more than a few of my favorite photos have absolutely horrid IQ, for example:

I have yet to see a useful metric by which to quantify "IQ". I don't care about IQ at all, really, in any quantifiable sense. I care whether a photograph captures expression, gesture, emotion, and looks pleasing-satisfying to my eye, and then to others.

Content is the important part. Image quality is just the teknos required to deliver the content, important up to a relatively trivial level after which it is mostly just a lot of myth and supposition meaning little of significance.

Well, if IQ doesn't matter, then what's left is operation (AF, frame rate, size, weight, weather sealing, etc.) else the equipment doesn't matter at all.

And, really, there is a great deal of sense to that.

.. I like to know which numbers are relevant, and how the numbers correspond to the visual properties of the final photo. ...

I learned all that stuff forty years ago. I've been doing photography for a little more than fifty years.

Pleased to hear it.

But this pleasant discussion has gone way off base from the question posed by the OP. "Do you miss the shallower DoF of bigger sensor cameras?" is what was asked. My answer is no, I choose to use FT for its unique FoV-DoF coupling, and choose focal lengths and lens openings accordingly.

Sure. However, I think the ensuing discussion is worth having, and relevant to the OP.

Perhaps. Somehow, though, I doubt it—I have not seen the OP comment for a long time, so I doubt it is terribly relevant to him/her.

In terms of the OP, I don't doubt it.  However, there are others reading, if only one or two.

Ah well, time for rest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/12428362353/

So, here's the million dollar question (or thousand dollar question, as the case may be) -- would that photo have been any worse for wear if taken with a cell phone?  Please don't take offense, 'cause I think that all the time about a lot of my photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow