Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gnarayan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
A few from Kitt Peak and Mt. Hopkins with the GR
8 months ago

I've mostly posted over at Oly SLR talk (familiar surroundings), but given the focus on black and white street photography in this forum primarily, I thought a few of you might be interested in something a bit different for here - all from two observing runs in Jan/Feb of this year.

Terrible weather for any astronomy, but at least when the clouds are like this, you can do something with your other camera Several of these pictures are shot with a cpol - most in the neighborhood of f/11, and all handheld. Processing with Lightroom 5, with GIMP for a few final edits.

Camera-wise, the GR is a great little tool, and the nicest Christmas present I've ever given myself. Stupidly sharp lens. The DNGs are a pleasure to edit. The jpegs aren't all that different with Vivid - a lot less contrasty because I try to expose to the right, and then pull the shadows back down later - but I imagine I could have started from those and come up with much the same results. This is what I've been doing for everything else really, since I don't often have the time to process DNGs.

The primary reason I got the GR is that I'm currently nursing a broken left elbow, and while I'm slowly recovering range of motion, none of my other cameras are capable of being shot one-handed. Indeed, there aren't many cameras that can be shot one-handed at all. The GR won over the X100s, which is what I had been saving for, purely because of it's ergonomics. What wasn't apparent to me before I bought it was that the GR's ergonomics one-handed are better than a lot of other cameras with both hands. The control layout is perfect, and they really don't need to change anything. I include my M6TTL in this list - the current trend towards more direct controls through dials is a bit of a shame, and a lot of companies can take a leaf out of the GRs playbook when it comes to menu design and organizing controls so that you can change settings quickly. I do like having an external viewfinder though - how anyone is expected to see the LCD in bright sunlight is beyond me - the GR is the first camera I've had without a viewfinder since a really ancient Nikon P&S... and the Nikon LCD was more useable in daylight if memory serves.

All of the links should take you to the full size images - which is good because dpreview's resizing is pretty awful.

Hope you enjoy my little slice of the world.

Cheers,

-Gautham

Sunset, Kitt Peak, AZ

The Directors: Mayall 4m and Bok 2.3m on Kitt Peak

Baboquivari and the Desert, Afternoon

Obelisk: The McMath-Pierce Solar Telescope

Mt. Hopkins Road and Whipple Observatory

The MMT at Dusk

Sunset over the Desert

Truth and Reflection: One of the VERITAS Gamma Ray Telescopes

Crepuscular Rays at Sunset

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcome.
Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarayan/

gnarayan's gear list:gnarayan's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4
Ricoh GR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow