Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT tripod + Giotto's MH1311-652 ballhead

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
op1318
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT tripod + Giotto's MH1311-652 ballhead
In reply to Prognathous, 6 months ago

Prognathous wrote:
We're exactly the same height, down to the centimeter. I had the same concerns and I can now say that the 254CT is fine. I use the articulated screen of my Sony A77 a lot when shooting landscapes, so there's normally no need to extend the column. If I do extend it the camera gets almost to eye level, requiring very little stooping (keep in mind that the viewfinder is higher than the top of the tripod and that the eyes are not located below the top of one's head).
Another interesting option is the 284CT. It's taller than the 254CT and folds smaller than the 283CT. In terms of weight it is similar to the latter. I wanted the lightest and smallest option so I went with the 254CT.

I shoot landscapes with the A850 (which does not have live view or tiltable screen) exclusively and keep the A77 mostly for macro and wildlife. With an eye level at approximately 186cm, I thought 170cm tripod + 10cm ballhead + 9cm body height would be the perfect match. But I am really considering the other options, especially regarding folded height and weight. The fact is that I really don't like to carry a tripod, so, I know I need to get the best option available, otherwise it will stay home when I am in the field.

op1318's gear list:op1318's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow