Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
Tuning dial-up service, (W7)
10 months ago

A good friend of mine seems to be stuck with dial-up internet service. DSL? NO, not DSL. It is NetZero dial-up, into his local NetZero access telephone number. I'm guessing it is 4800bps? 9600bps? I very much doubt it is 56Kbps.

He is running W7 on a PC Dell G610. I don't recall PC system specs but I don't think that matters for my question. (To connect PC it has a modem, phone line to USB)

Which is - what are W7 "services" that run in the background that use/hog his internet? That he does not need. That are hogging his extremely limited bandwidth. Only one I know for sure is Automatic W7 Updates. Are there some messaging, reporting, services that can be turned off? He's using IE, what could it be doing? I'm trying to get him to use Firefox.

How about cookies? Are they a big hog of bandwidth? I've in past looked at his cooky list and typically 200 cookies.

I think I'll have to insist he runs CCleaner every day and clean cookies.

Any help you can give is most appreciated, thanks.

Tom

ps - in reviewing this post looks like my sig says something about a Panasonic?  No, no, no where did that come from?  I have no sig line.  (I'm going to check my profile).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow