MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,206
Like?
The "defect" of shallow DOF.
In reply to Jim Salvas, 9 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

in a way, shallow DOF is a defect we've come to associate with fast lenses, but it is an unnatural way to look at the world. Even in low light, with pupils wide open, we just don't see this way.

Well, the thing is, we don't see in two dimensions, either, and we see in video, not stills.  In addition, we typically see with a significantly wider angle of view than what the photo shows.  So, are these all "defects" as well?  Furthermore, we see in color, not black and white, so is BW photographer another "defect"?

However, the fact of the matter is that we do see with rather shallow DOF, it's just that we're constantly looking around and refocusing on different portions of the scene, and the brain puts it all together in a composite.  For example, staring at what I'm writing right now, can you see and read what's on your keyboard?

I do occasionally enjoy playing with this defect, but it's not a problem for me either way.

For example, this photo was taken at f/1.2 on FF:

Does it appear to be "defective" because all but one of the people are outside the DOF?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow