Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
seraiah
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you shoot RAW, if so only one tablet can do it..
In reply to Mike Fewster, 5 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

seraiah wrote:

...Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

The Surface pro2 It is the only tablet that has the grunt for proper raw processing. With other machines you will be limited to jpeg files or very slow processing.

If you want something to travel with that has the power to process RAW and do hedium serious editing as you travel, you will need either the Surface pro 2 or an Apple laptop or PC ultrabook/laptop. You also need at least 4 meg of ram which the Surface Pro2 has.

You also need to think about storage. If you are going to use the machine for serious work, say while travelling and you need the space to store/organize your raw files, you need a machine where you can plug in extra storage.

You need to consider what else you want your tablet/laptop to be doing. If you have things like movies stored on it for travel, you wont have too much space left for the operating system of you program and to store files.For a trip of, say, a month where I intend doing some real shooting (in RAW I might easily get 60 gig of shots) I have a 128gig drive HP ultrabook with 4meg ram plius a 1 terrabyte plug in hard drive to keep alll my files.

Other programs I am running on the hP include Lightroom 5. Word, Exell, ICE (for processing panoramas as I travel) , various games, communication programs. I could put Photoshop on there as well but LR handles most of what I need and I want to leave the operating system plenty of space.

I have looked long and hard at tablets and exchanged experiences of them with others with similar needs on various forums. As far as I can see, only the Surface Pro2 (although some may argue that technically it isn't a tablet) meets the need. I am sure that in the the near future a full tablet with the grunt will turn up.

If you already own Lightroom you may have a secomd copy on a protable machine and this means you do do most of your processing and organizing as you go, then just add to your main machine and catalogue when you return

You also need to look at how much battery time you will need. This of course varies depending on where/how you will be using your machine of choice

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

thanks for all the info. SP2 is attractive, indeed. I don't need anything professional level, though, and it seems like all the things you listed won't fit my relatively meagre budget :/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow