Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945Gear list
Like?
iPhone 4 meets LX7 and PEN E-PL5.
2 months ago

This arrived today... my first impression is that the PEN E-PL5 body is about the same size and weight as the LX7 and it's actually thinner, but you can't remove the lens on the LX7. However, attach the lens to the PEN E-PL5 and it starts to get little man syndrome and can't hold up its weight. That is, it makes the camera all out of balance and it falls over...

When you look at the thing sitting there next to the PEN E-PL5 and you start to get the picture, the lens dwarves the camera. It's also substantially larger than the lens attached to the LX7 which is 4mm wider and 6mm longer. I know, you can't compare that because of sensor size, but still...

Overall the PEN feels nice in the hand, however, there's a few things when the lens is attached to the PEN E-PL5 it feels about as heavy as the LX7 is with a 1.7x teleconverter attached to it. There's a lot of glass and substantial weight in the kit 14-42 lens for the E-PL5.

Also with the PEN, the power button is a button, it's something that I'm going to have to get used to. It doesn't feel as nice as a nice slide lever. The other issue is the shutter button, the LX7 has an actual button that recesses down when you press it, the PEN has a button on top of the camera which makes it a bit more unnatural to push as compared to the LX7.

Finally, while the flip out LCD screen is nice, it's also very prone to getting finger print marks on it, where my iPhone that I shot this with gets none. I can tell if I'm pushing to focus I'm going to end up with a smudged screen eventually.

I'm waiting at the moment for the battery to charge so I can give some initial thoughts about shooting with the PEN and will update this thread as and when I do. Hopefully I should be able to get a full charge in the next hour or so to give the camera a solid run down with my initial thoughts.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow