NX1 rumors

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165Gear list
Like?
Re: NX1 rumors
In reply to pixelpushing, 8 months ago

pixelpushing wrote:

We're going to have to just disagree on Android being such an unstable, inefficient ball of gunk with inefficiency flaws regarding processing and battery consumption that have been passed out through the process from the core to the external shells and UI. The thing runs perfectly fine on a variety of tablets from dual to eight core, there are loads of custom firmware releases, loaders, shells, tweaks and so forth. Some are even pretty stable.

If a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 can run that huge 299ppi resolution display as bright as it does, with 8MP/2MP dual cameras, 1080 HD video, run an octa core CPU with 3GB RAM, up to 64GB internal RAM and a micro SDHC slot... All while sporting 10 hour runtime and benchmarks that handily keep it competitive (if not faster than) Apple's latest iPad, which I currently own. The reason I sold my Note 10.1 2014 was due to lack of proper screen rotation support in drawing apps and a better 4:3 aspect ratio of the Apple for drawing/editing. Otherwise, the Android is the superior machine in just about every way, spec-wise and performance wise.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same camera. Engadget's review of the Galaxy NX said: 'Battery life is phenomenal. After deplorable performance with last year's Galaxy Camera, I was definitely concerned about the NX making it through a full day. In practice, however, I had nothing to worry about, as long as I charged the battery overnight. While shooting on Halloween, I spent the day exploring Shanghai, returning to the hotel nine hours later with a 32 percent charge remaining. When you factor in the Google Maps browsing, emailing, Instagram sharing, Foursquare check-ins, 128 photos and nearly three minutes of 1080p video I was able to capture along the way, that's solid performance. Of course, I'd expect nothing less from a 4,360mAh battery pack, but it's great to see that Samsung planned ahead here.'

Also, even Mashable (which wrongly criticized IQ, I thought) said battery life was 'Superb' and did not criticize performance or stability at all.

Given all that, I don't buy the idea that Android is faulty, laggy and horribly inefficient by nature. There are just too many other systems that run it with very heavy hardware demands.

I didn't say the NX300 lasted longer than the Galaxy NX. I don't have the Galaxy NX. I'll point out though that the Galaxy NX has a 4360mAh battery, and the Note has a 8,220mAh battery.  My NX300 batteries are roughly 1200mAh, so I would expect to get about 8 hours of camera on shooting with if I had the Galaxy NX's battery, and close to 16 with the Note's.  Their example sounds like the Galaxy NX was idle the vast majority of the time.  If I go out and shoot for 8 hours I'll probably have over 3000 images if there's actually something interesting out, not 128 and a 3 minute video.  If unused cores also "sleep" on the device (and I expect that they do) then I'm not seeing how the Note is terribly more demanding than the NX300 from a hardware perspective.  That is, with this (rather rough) estimation, the Note gets 6 hours less battery life than we would expect from the NX300, that's huge.  Yes it's partially hardware, and partially software, and one would need to do a more detailed analysis to separate the two.  In essence though, your examples are of throwing more power at the problem, not of an efficient OS.  When you really want to crunch the numbers, many would even say the modern Linux kernel is terribly bloated, many manufacturers even take it and strip it down to the bare essentials for use and really do still write machine code (first hand from people I know in the car industry).  Java is inefficient by it's very nature, but yes, we can solve the problem by throwing tons of hardware at it for speed and huge battery capacities to make it chug along.  And that is a reasonable solution, no sarcasm intended.  I wasn't saying faulty or laggy (though if you look back it was, Android 2.3...), not even horribly inefficient, just not efficient.  That is, I'm not saying it's a Hummer, it's more like a minivan.  By the way, most of the hardware is probably more efficient than you think it is, the biggest drains on the average Android device are the screen and the wifi.  RAM, CPU, etc.. draws relatively little unless you're actually making it do some real work.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Taffy MOD
Taffy MOD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow