MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
Re: From past "conversations" with you...
In reply to Great Bustard, 7 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Same tripod, same day, same time...different cameras...EM1 100-300 vs A7r Sigma 70-300...and the FF DOF just killed the m43 DOF...lol...

A7r 70-300

EM1 100-300

A7r 70-300

A7r 70-300

EM1 100-300

...I know that you aren't really quite clear on simple concepts.

First of all, when people say that FF has a more shallow DOF than mFT, what they mean is that for a given perspective, framing, and display size, FF will have half the DOF for the same relative aperture (f-ratio) and the same DOF for the same virtual aperture (entrance pupil).

For example, if we took a photo of a bird at 300mm f/5.6 on FF (as in your first photo), we would not expect it to have the same DOF as a photo at 300mm f/5.6 on mFT, as either the perspective, framing, or both would be very different using 300mm on both systems.

Of course, your photos above are cropped, and that changes the DOF as well. For example, if you took a photo of a bird from the same position at 300mm f/5.6 on FF and 300mm f/5.6 on mFT, then cropped the FF photo to the same framing and displayed it at the same size as the mFT photo, they will both have the same DOF.

The tighter we frame, either by getting closer, using a longer focal length, or cropping, the more shallow the DOF will be.

On the other hand, maybe your "point" was merely to show that mFT can get the same DOF as FF by using a different perspective, framing, and/or cropping. Well, that's no more surprising than saying you can "turn a 300mm lens into a 600mm lens" by getting twice as close or framing wider and cropping. Shocker.

Maybe I should clarify for folks...SAME Tripod, SAME distance, SAME Bird, SAME day, SAME photog, SAME focal length...

Notice any differences FF or m43?....yes the m43 kicked the A7r and 70-300 in the ar$e...

Every format has distinct advantages over the other formats, from Superzoom to m43 to APS-C to FF...each have there "own" distinct advantage over the others...plain and simple...

Hence there is no equivalence...

Maybe you don't understand this simple concept...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow