Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774
Like?
Re: APSC vs FF
In reply to SQLGuy, 9 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

Michael Everett wrote:

Let's be practical. I agree FF is better. Yet I have spent a lot of money on the NEX-7 and a bunch of E-mount lenses. I also have Metabones Speed Reducer. When I am in low light, the SB plus a Canon FDn 50 1.4, does an excellent job with only having to go over ISO 800 very seldom.

The bottom line in the real world is how much would I actually gain in picture taking by scraping (actually selling) all my APS-C equipment and starting over in FF. While FF is theoretically better I'm not sure the cost is worth it. I print up to 16x24 and would be hard pressed to imagine much improvement in the actual images. And I am picky.

Michael

If you only have one legacy full frame lens, and you're happy enough with the IQ of the Speed Booster, then it sounds like you've found the right solution for you.

I didn't try a Speed Booster. Metabones took so long to get the FD one to market that I instead had to try one of the other brands. I was very disappointed in its IQ and I returned it. By that time, the A7 was announced. I shoot a number of different brands of full frame lenses, so A) the cost from Metabones for multiple adapters would be higher than the cost of the A7 and B) a number of them aren't supported (or even - Leica, Contax G, etc) supportable by focal reducers.

I have heard, though, that even the Speed Boosters work better with some focal length and speed lenses than others. A real full frame sensor works well for all of those SLR lenses.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

I have tried many legacy lenses with the Nex 7, and have now reduced it to three FD's, FD 24/2.8 SSC, FDn 35/2, and FDn 50/1/4, plus a collection of special, e.g. macro and telephoto lenses.  I found the Sigma 30 and 60 to be excellent e-mount primes.  I tried the Zeiss Touit 32, but saw little difference between it and the Sigma, except the AF was slower and noisier.  Re legacy lenses, I found the secret to be try several samples of each until you get and exceptional one.  Most are cheap enough to do that.

I had a Zhongy LT, which worked OK, but found the SB noticeably better, especially around the edges.  I would like to get an A7, but will wait because I think my system is good enough for the time being.  I also believe the secret with the 7 is to get good lenses.  Otherwise there is not that much point in it over the 6 or 5's.

BTW I always shoot Raw, and while the SB cuts down on contrast a little, it's not too bad, and anyway my go-to lens is the Sigma 30 unless the light is too low or I need a specially FL.

Michael

Michael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow