MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,131
Like?
The thing is...
In reply to JosephScha, 8 months ago

JosephScha wrote:

I had a 50mm f/1.8 (kit lens) on the 35mm film SLR. I remember depth of field so narrow that on a close up portrait one eye could be tack sharp but the other less so and the nose and ear distinctly out of focus.

...you don't shove a 50mm prime in someone's face and shoot wide open with FF.  For such a tight framing, you would stop down a bit.  For example, here's a 50mm prime shoved in my daughter's face, but I stopped down to f/2.8:

and 25mm f/1.4 on mFT could easily have gotten the job done.  However, with a bit wider framing:

I find the wider aperture (f/1.2, in this case) to give an appealing look (in my opinion, of course).

On m4/3 I have the Leica labelled 25mm f/1.4. It is a wonderful lens. I am informed that the depth of field I can achieve on m4/3 with that should actually be very slightly less narrow than 50mm f/1.8 on FF. Honestly, if that is true, it makes me happier. It's still narrow enough for me.

Sure.  I'm of the opinion that the DOF options for mFT using primes will satisfy the vast majority of people out there.  However, one advantage of FF, in this regard, is that you can get the same DOF of primes in mFT with zooms.  Of course, the downside is a considerably larger and heavier kit.

The performance of the 25mm f/1.4 is stellar, and its price is not high compared to really low f stop glass for FF. Folks here in m43 land think it should be smaller and even lighter than it is. I'm old enough to know that it is smaller and lighter than my old 50mm f/1.8 was.

Sure.  If the size and weight of FF is an issue, and the DOF options of mFT are "good enough" (and, as I said, in my opinion they are, at least for the vast majority), then why not use mFT over FF?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow