Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Identity
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?
I think my 55-200mm is a dud
10 months ago

I posted last week about issues with ineffective OIS on my 55-200mm lens, and today was my first opportunity since then to get out in good light and shoot at high shutter speeds and smaller apertures for increased depth of field and sharpness. I also alternated between OIS on and OIS off. I was hoping that this made no difference at high shutter speeds, and it appears it doesn't.

Here's some photos, with captions describing the problems. View at 100% to really see the issues. Note that I ran all these photos through a DOF calculator and the plane of focus is quite deep, easily deep enough that everything should be sharp (except the water in the last shot). Shutter speeds were nice and high, and the camera was on a monopod. OIS was on for the first 4 shots, and off for the rest. Focus was on the eagle in the photos that, well, have an eagle in them  

This is not what I should be expecting from the 55-200mm lens, is it?

55mm, looks pretty good.

Bottom left corner is sharp, top right corner and right side in general is blurry.

Bottom half of photo is burry

55mm, nice and sharp

Bottom of image is blurry

Bottom if image is blurry

Not terrible, but left side is blurry

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow