Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you shoot RAW, if so only one tablet can do it..
In reply to Mike Fewster, 8 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

jtosbo00 wrote:

I've gone several tablets as A Project Manager for a web & mobile app development team of 17 employees. The iPad is by far the tablet that team would choose for everyday use including for photo PP. In case you are wondering if there might be favoritism among my team members, only one person uses Mac (Macbook Pro) for work while the rest are using Windows or Unix laptops or desktops. Some despise Apple. Despite this, all choose Apple iOS devices especially during testing. The surface tablets are often the last ones on the table for the poor intern. I would not touch a windows tablet as it is struggling in the mobile sector and may be killed. Also, Lightroom is rumored to be coming to iOS devices soon as of 2 weeks ago. Personally, after trying all three platforms, iPad is my everyday personal use and I PP in raw format.

Are you sure you are working in RAW on an ipad? Most who think they are doing this are actually looking at the embedded jpeg that is taken with the RAW file. There are a couple of genuine RAW convertors available for the ipad, like piranha, but they are extremely slow.

What pp software are you using on the ipad? The native program is only working on the jpegs, which is fine for basic sorting but I wouldn't think you would be using it for serious pp.

I'd be interested in having Lightroom for ios though, if the ios device has enough power for the program.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Yes, Mike - the latest version of Photogene actually opens and edits the RAW file (any recognized by iOS) See the review on Cult of Mac.

They were stunned - so not surprised you're surprised. Actually, the prior version could do it, but was limited in size of saved files. "LBJ" here just got it for his iPad Air and was blown away by it. No need for slow RAW-to-jpeg converter programs. The developers "Mobile Pond" are just 3 guys in Israel. Unknown if they're the only software guys developing it.

Basically, it's like a limited form of Photoshop Elements. Retouching is crude. It isn't Lightroom or Photoshop. But it's inexpensve - I think $10. By sheer luck I found it shortly after they launched it in 2010, and after thoroughly testing it on a 3-week Italy trip, began as one of their beta testers.

This device is a neat accessory. It lets you copy the images on a SD card directly to a portable USB hard drive (conventional or SSD). Then Photogene can open RAW

Many of the images I've posted on the forum were posted from the iPad after processing in Photogene on the iPad.

I'm really interested in the Lightroom for iOS due out in March. The only negative is the price - $10 a month on an annual subscription. Hopefully they will have a test version. For me, $10 a month is worth it, as long as I don't need to be logged on to use it. I have the Zaggfolio keyboard for my iPad 3, and it makes the iPad into a good lightweight machine that works well on the tray tables of the center seats I find myself always trapped in.

Try Photogene!

Mel

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow