Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
Had D5100 Before, Saw Cheap D3200
2 months ago

I spotted a good deal (less than $380) for a refurbished Nikon D3200 kit (less than 100 shutter uses). I previously had a Nikon D5100 and 18-105mm VR and 50mm 1.8G. I currently have a Sony NEX-F3 and a Nikon J1 (50mm 1.8 OSS and kit with Sony, 10-30 with J1).

Seeing the D3200 for so low a price tempts me for some reason, although anymore I use mirrorless anyway. Coming from a D5100, if I get a D3200, I know I'd give up the tilt LCD, but that doesn't bother me. (I'd also give up 1/3 ISO steps, bracketing, a JPEG size options in RAW+JPEG mode, among a few other things. I'm fine with that.)

My thing is, with the D3200 having a huge 24mp sensor, the word is that you need a decent lens to not reveal lens flaws. Would an 18-105mm VR be sufficient for this with landscapes? Or would I really need to spring for at least the Nikon 16-85mm or Tokina 12-24II? Also, I assume the image quality difference would really be neglible unless I printed huge? How is the high ISO compare between the two? (Granted, I don't shoot at ISO 3200 or 6400 much.)

Another side of me says "why bother, just spend the money on Sony NEX stuff," but lately for casual shooting I just use the Nikon J1 anyway and am thinking maybe for more "serious" occasions where I use the Sony F3 I might prefer using an SLR again (maybe because I've become spoiled by the fast AF of the J1)--if it turns out I don't, I shouldn't have a problem getting the money back from selling (so long as people don't have some weird thing about refurbished units).

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D3200 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow