Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ashley G
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
UVa Filters and Lens hood - when to use on digital M's
5 months ago

I recently watched a youtube video by Kai of DigitalRev (Hong Kong) about using UV filters. There was the usual comedy and it did not relate specifically to Leica's, but the end result was that he thought filters were not only useless with digital cameras, but could be detrimental to resolution and also colour. Indeed on my recent trip to Brazil, using a Lumix GX-7 (because the M9 was away getting a new sensor!) I noticed that outdoor images had colours that looked "washed out". I ditched the filter and the results were superior.

The suggestion seems to be that on a digital camera you are better off without a UV filter. On the M9 I have always used a filter (Leica UVa), just as much to protect the lens as anything else.

Then there is the matter of lens hoods.  I always use one, but is it really necessary?  On the 'cron 35 the hood is a pretty compact squared off affair, but with some lenses a hood adds size and inconvenience - so are hoods worthwhile?

Perhaps the "less is more" theory is apt?  Your thoughts are welcome....

-- hide signature --

Ashley

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow