Struggling with D7100

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Struggling with D7100
In reply to JK5700, 7 months ago

Found the camera, D7100, more demanding than my D90 in terms of technique with the same lenses. So I took some time, a 1/2 day and worked with my lenses especially my 80-200, controlled breathing, kept elbows, etc. The other thing I did was started using single point AF when I could and set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-ON meaning I separated my AF and shutter actuation. Use the control dial to move the point to where I want. Use AF-ON all the time now regardless of AF-A/C/3D or number of focus points. The D7100 does have a weakness in tracking along the edges, with cross type sensors all concentrated in the center. Once I did/learned these few things was back to my keeper rate as with my D90 rapidly. Meaning there was no technical flaw with the shot. Many other issues that make me unhappy, like composition but thats my fault.

Have to say I am still experimenting with some things like ISO, where I pushed the ISO to 2500 with the D7100 and did not like the noise. Easy enough to cure with NX2, but still in learning curve.

Suggest you try AF-ON with single point where appropriate and see if that helps.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow