NX1 rumors

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527Gear list
Like?
Re: NX1 rumors
In reply to ttbek, 8 months ago

Wow, war of the walls of text!  My eyes are bleeding.

If Samsung is closer to a truly optimized OS with appropriate UI with Tizen, then fine, I just want something that's intuitive and fast. I do not prefer their current shell to the earlier, more straightforward NX100 and 200 menu system, though. It's also not terribly responsive, considering the touch to shoot requirements.

As we have noted, when you attach any bare OS to any device without regard to optimization for its hardware, you will get crappy performance and efficiency. This leads me to believe a properly tweaked Android shell would run just fine on an NX, without breaking compatibility with at least a substantial number of apps. You certainly aren't running any Linux apps on the current NX edition of Tizen, right? So at best you're in the same boat. And again, I point back to the whole 'we're giving out the source' nonsense that absolutely nothing came out of. What's the point of all that if people can't do hacks and custom fw or even compile apps for the thing? None.

I'm sure this might all be academic since Samsung has no doubt made their minds up as to which direction to go with future models, but I'd say there's still an opportunity to incorporate something like Android. Apps, flexibility, end user customization, firmware hacks, etc. This is stuff that could very well put Samsung NX cameras on the map, media-wise. They'd be smart to model their line behind the idea that 'hey, I use this on my phone and tablet, my camera will work seamlessly with them' and such. People may also see it as an evolution.

Yes, a camera has 'one job to do'. Kind of. That means the shell needs to have a streamlined appearance when you're using the camera for taking photos and video. BUT there's no reason it couldn't do more, just like a phone does far more now than it used to, and without sacrificing the efficiency or performance of the camera.

Anyways, my point is that Android is not necessarily the weak link in battery efficiency or speed vs. Linux or anything else. It just depends on how it's applied. Also, phones and tablets need very thin, light batteries that drive great big bright screens in excess of 4-5" for a phone and 10"+ for a tablet! Not to mention cameras, WiFi and BT, cell radios, etc.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Taffy MOD
Taffy MOD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow