Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: Struggling with D7100
In reply to sshoihet, 10 months ago

sshoihet wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

I recently bought a D7100 as a backup to my D3s. I have been using the D7100 with my 500VR and AF-S 80-400VR. I am however not getting enough sharp photos with the combinations. I was doing much better with the D300s and of course the D3s.

I understand that the extra megapixels makes long lens technique more critical, but not to the extent that I am experiencing. Are there any tricks to using the D7100 that I am missing?

More pixels will only possibly make the image appear less sharp at 100% but under the same condition and using the same technique, the D7100 image should look at least as good as the D300 when viewed at the same size; the D7100 should never be worse.

Without seeing the images it's hard to say what the problem is but I'd put the camera on a good support and then compare the images between LV and PDAF to rule out the AF. All my lenses on both my cameras required a bit of AF fine tune to get the best out of them. My buddy's D7100 with 24-70 is spot on and required none.

Thank you.  OP, listen to this guy.  The "more pixels means better technique things" is almost 100% false, unless you're always going to be doing massive crops (unlikely).

Post some sample shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow