MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?
Re: MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?
In reply to Superzoom2, 7 months ago

Superzoom2 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying my first ever MFT camera, an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with 14-42 EZ lens.

I've had lots of compacts and DSLR's, mostly Canon. Once in a while, you have these beautiful blurry background pics when the lens and aperture combination are right. I am a former pro photog, and understand fully camera optics and depth-of-field physics.

I just want to know if you sometimes miss the easily attainable shallow depth-of-field that you usually get with an APS-C or bigger sensor camera.

I know you can buy fast MFT lenses for more aperture control, but I'm probably going to just stick with a cheap 14-42 for various reasons.

Thanks!

Personally, I think background blur is overused and overrated. Being artistic does not mean turning the dial to 1.4.

MFT can also do good bokeh. It's just not quite as easy as turning a dial. You need to use a long focal length or be creative in your subject distance, or just compose the shot right. In a way, it's very "old-school", and much more fun to explore your creativity--and more pleasing when you get it right.

Take, for example, the following picture: Do you really need "creamy bokeh" to capture the moment, isolate the subject, or highlight the emotion?...

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow