Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?
Re: NX1 rumors
In reply to Taffy, 6 months ago

Taffy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

'Samsung NX1 will be announced in autumn (Photokina) with a 28MP APS-C sensor and 4k video recording capabilities. The camera will be weather sealed and will run on the Android OS.'

I hope they are wrong about android as an os.

I'd much prefer Android over what the NX300 has. In fact, I'd prefer almost anything over that.

Well I have the NX300, and a Galaxy NX. The 300, as everyone knows has a Tizen OS, while the Galaxy NX has the Android OS. The NX300's OS is head and shoulders above the Android system, IMO. Tha Android is too slow to start, is to power hungry.

That's not necessarily an Android issue, though - they probably didn't optimize the OS for the more demanding camera hardware. My girlfriend's Google Nexus 7 (2014) is blazing fast. Her S3 and my S4 are fast. These products can go hours and hours streaming video and taking photos...I don't see why we couldn't have at least a quad core CPU with 1GB RAM on an NX. Even three year old cell phones have that.

What about a scaled down Android shell or UX like they did with Tizen? I doubt the NX300 would run as smoothly or as long with a completely un-tweaked distro of full Linux...

Despit the Galaxy NX having a lrger battery, it has a much reduced shooting life, when compared to the NX300.

Yet we can drive a big media tablet like a Galaxy Note 10.1 or an always-on juice-sucker like a cell phone. Both of which have cameras, too (albeit without the bigger, higher MP sensors).

With all uneccessary items disabled in the NX300, and juducious use on the on/off control, I can get a full day's shooting and hudreds of pics out of the 300. Using the Galaxy NX with its larger battery, turniing off every uneccassary thing in the camera, i.e. using it only ti take photo's, I can only get around 4 hours of use before it warns me of having a low battery. No, I would take the 300 over a Galaxy NX any day. I also prefer the style, abd size of the NX300. Of course, this is my preference, and I'm listing MY dislikes, but YMMV.

Again, I don't think the Android core is the primary fault, here. The OS powers loads of very battery hungry devices out there and competes well with iOS and Windows.

It seems to me they just need to engineer the proper 'distro' or shell to run that manages what functions are used by what hardware and when. My suspicion with the NX is that they just took the basic camera hardware and slapped Android on it with minimal cost spent to develop it with battery life in mind. Better processor and some serious UX optimization might work wonders.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy S4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Taffy MOD
Taffy MOD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow