Struggling with D7100

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
A. Westreich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
Re: Struggling with D7100
In reply to JK5700, 10 months ago

JK5700 wrote:

I recently bought a D7100 as a backup to my D3s. I have been using the D7100 with my 500VR and AF-S 80-400VR. I am however not getting enough sharp photos with the combinations. I was doing much better with the D300s and of course the D3s.

I understand that the extra megapixels makes long lens technique more critical, but not to the extent that I am experiencing. Are there any tricks to using the D7100 that I am missing?

-- hide signature --

http://kennekam.blogspot.com/
www.pbase.com/kennekam

Don't know about the 500VR but I've used the new 80-400 and D71K for a while now.  As I don't know what you are shooting, or what your current techniques are, it's sort of tough to know where to start.  I went from a 300 on a D90 to the 80-400 on the D71K and can tell you that the combination is much more demanding on technique.

The first and most obvious thing as mentioned above is to up the shutter speed (or get a Wimberley).  I started out shooting birds at 1/1000 and quickly upped it to 1/1600.  As my technique improved I found I could take it down again, but it took some practice.

It should be obvious, but if you set the system on a tripod and shoot a static subject in good light, then effectively post process the files, you should get a good idea of how sharp the lens can be.  It is a good combination:

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow