MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,505
Like?
Let's squash that confusion!
In reply to Dave Sanders, 7 months ago

Dave Sanders wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...by the persistence of these debates. I'm sure you're sick of explaining this over and over

Well, the 5D has a significantly less efficient sensor than the GM1. However, if you do as you describe with the 6D, you'll find that the 6D has less noise, which is one of the primary reasons people choose a larger format. If you compared to a Sony A7R, you'd find not only less noise but significantly more detail -- another reason many choose a larger format.

Significantly? No. More? Yes.

Well, I was talking about the A7R, which is 36 MP, and I'd call this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=oly_em1&attr13_1=sony_a7r&attr13_2=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_3=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=100&attr16_1=100&attr16_2=100&attr16_3=100&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.19745533654163094&y=-0.7939352170916609

"significantly more" detail. That said, how large would you have to print, or how much would you have to crop before it mattered? Well, for some, even 5 MP is enough for 17x22 inch prints, so...

I shoot an RX1 and an E-M1 side-by-side all the time and the difference in noise is noticeable...especially long exposures. That 24mp Sony is a beast over a minute, no LENR required. Resolution? Less than I would have thought.

Again, I was talking about the 36 MP A7R, but, for sure, whether or not the additional resolution matters will depend on a great number of factors.

So when you say "the only difference" is DOF, well, if you're comparing a FF camera from over 8 years ago to an mFT camera from now...

Certainly there are other differences. Noise, resolution. How much does that matter any more? That's the question now as I think we long ago passed sufficiency in most formats. However, these DOF debates are a bit tiring...horses for courses. I currently have FF, DX and m4/3 in my arsenal.

I think we're on the same page, here. In fact, I'm very keen on saying that, in my opinion, the vast majority are better suited by smaller formats, and differences between systems in operation matter more, by far, than differences between systems in terms of IQ, for the types of photos most take and the size most display their photos at.

That said, whether or not the differences matter is an entirely different discussion than simply understanding that it is the aperture diameter, not the f-ratio, and the total amount of light falling on the sensor, not the intensity of light, that are the important elements in the visual properties of the recorded photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow