ISO Dial Obsession

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
It's fabulous, obvious, and better than PASM
In reply to rich789, 8 months ago

In concept, it is much more relevant to have an easily accessible ISO dial on a digital camera than on a film camera. On a film camera you just set and forget it, unless you are using it as a cheat for exposure compensation. Not so when shooting digital.

It makes perfect sense. There are three parameters that affect exposure, four if you count exposure compensation. Why should ISO be treated differently than shutter speed or aperture today? No reason I can think of. You don't fiddle with it often? That's you.

To me it makes more sense than a PASM dial. If I am shooting raw (and I am) then aside from focus control, I want direct unambiguous control over the exposure by modifying whichever combination of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture makes sense at the time, and leaving the other parameters to automatic.

As far as those who said they don't want to take the camera away from their eyes to look at the dial, that's ridiculous. The info is in the EVF, you don't have to look at the dial if you don't want to.

For those who just want to be able to see the settings when the camera is off, having direct dials for these parameters is only one way to get it done, another welcome way would be on a top plate display instead of the dial. But the combination of having unambiguous, always on access to the most important parameters, and being able to read them with the camera off is pretty attractive.

In practice, it could be that the locking pins are a bit of a pain. That is a matter of personal preference. I think the right way to go on this would have been to design locking pins that could be pushed further down than flush (say with a pen) to put the dials into a free wheeling state to satisfy users who prefer it stay unlocked.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow