APSC vs FF

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
Re: APSC vs FF
In reply to Michael Everett, 10 months ago

Michael Everett wrote:

Let's be practical. I agree FF is better. Yet I have spent a lot of money on the NEX-7 and a bunch of E-mount lenses. I also have Metabones Speed Reducer. When I am in low light, the SB plus a Canon FDn 50 1.4, does an excellent job with only having to go over ISO 800 very seldom.

The bottom line in the real world is how much would I actually gain in picture taking by scraping (actually selling) all my APS-C equipment and starting over in FF. While FF is theoretically better I'm not sure the cost is worth it. I print up to 16x24 and would be hard pressed to imagine much improvement in the actual images. And I am picky.

Michael

If you only have one legacy full frame lens, and you're happy enough with the IQ of the Speed Booster, then it sounds like you've found the right solution for you.

I didn't try a Speed Booster. Metabones took so long to get the FD one to market that I instead had to try one of the other brands. I was very disappointed in its IQ and I returned it. By that time, the A7 was announced. I shoot a number of different brands of full frame lenses, so A) the cost from Metabones for multiple adapters would be higher than the cost of the A7 and B) a number of them aren't supported (or even - Leica, Contax G, etc) supportable by focal reducers.

I have heard, though, that even the Speed Boosters work better with some focal length and speed lenses than others. A real full frame sensor works well for all of those SLR lenses.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow