Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Davidked
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
D7000 Portrait Saturation and Skin Tone Advice Needed
5 months ago

I bought a D7000 about a year ago and never really used it. The few times I used it I treated in like a point and click and never got the results I used to get with my old D70. I finally decided to use the camera properly and I read Ken Rockwell's manual and used his recommended settings. While I was playing with the camera a friend stopped by and I took a single photo just to test the camera settings with no concern for the composition. Surprisingly, while not a great photo, it was easily the best that I have gotten out of the camera as it seemed to be the first photo that had some pop to it.

My only concern is that the photo seems heavily saturated (oddly, it appears more saturated on my computer than on my iphone). I kinda like the saturated look but I would like to know how to get the proper saturation and skin tone directly from the camera before editting. I took the photo through some ps skin tone tutorials and never liked the results as the picture lost life. The direct from camera picture and my best effort ps edit are below.

Any advice on getting ideal saturation and skin tone on the D7000 would be greatly appeciated. I would also like to know which of these photos you think is better.

D7000, old D70 kit lens, 4.5, fl 70mm

From Camera

Direct from Camera

Desaturated in photoshop

Nikon D70 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow