Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to chillzatl, 5 months ago

chillzatl wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

I'm sure there are people who like their Nexus and Dell Venue Pro. Insamuch as neither has a significant market share, and Dell is desperately trying to stay in business, I'd suggest that not a lot of people find them that terrific.

Do you have any sources to support that Dell is desperately trying to stay in business or that "not a lot of people" find Dell Venue tablets or android tablets to be "terrific"? you like to throw around a lot of information that is backed more by a unfounded opinion or "what I like" agenda than actual fact. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like and sharing your experience, but what you do is quite a bit different from that.

Unlike many of those with strong opinions here, mine are based on public facts.

Here's the blunt truth that backs what I said!

For those who don't follow links, let me give you the relevant part of the Forbes story when Dell's life as a public company ended November 18, 2013:

Net income dropped 72% from a year earlier–but Dell’s PC share ticked up one percentage point, its largest move in almost three years. There’s a long way to go to rebalance the business. After four years of work and $13 billion in services, software and other acquisitions, the firm still gets more than 60% of revenue from PCs. Dell’s market share in services and software stands at less than 1%, but these are the only categories making money and growing. Enterprise solutions, software and services revenue was up 9% in the latest quarter, and services comprised 100% of total operating profit. And in addition to battling traditional rivals like Hewlett-Packard and IBM, the company also has to worry about IT newcomers such as Amazon and Rackspace, which are wooing businesses with cloud-based services.

So guess what products are heading for the chopping block - anything that runs Windows or android. They have warehouses full of unsold merchandise to unload before they turn out the lights on consumer products - as does HP. We're in a post-PC era, and what PCs will be profitable in it run OSX. While Dell was drowning in red ink and unsold PCs, Apple Sold 33.8 Million iPhones, 14.1 Million iPads, And 4.6 Million Macs In Q4 2013. While Dell and HP and all the competitors lose money, year after year, Apple sits on $158 billion cash .

Windows 8 was the arrow through the heart of the PC industry. Only Taiwanese and Chinese companies are able to stay in the game, but any company with an American shareholder base - including Microsoft - has been savaged by the OS. Microsoft lost almost $1 billion in writing down the Surface Pro in 2013, after spending $12 billion in 2012 on R&D bringing them to market.

I spend most of my day working on my Mac and iPad on marketing programs for my pharma and medical equipment clients. I keep a Mac window open on the forum, follow my investments in another, and have CNBC on in the background. I separate my hardware and investment interests - I use and run OSX/iOS, but own stock in both Apple and Google.

Dell is gone as a publicly traded company. If it returns, don't expect anything that runs Windows 8 or Android to be there. Like Microsoft and HP, Dell will be forced to make it in enterprise servers and cloud. The tablet market in the enterprise space is dominated by iPad, and is likely to stay so. The Fortune 1000 has invested billions in proprietary apps to get data back from their reps and field service personnel. That was one of Ballmer's many miscalculations - he saw "content creation" as Microsoft Office. Enterprise customers didn't, and neither did consumers.

Just desserts for Michael Dell after having declared Steve Jobs' return to Apple in 1997 as a disaster for the company and shareholders:

...at the Gartner Symposium and ITxpo97 here today, the CEO of competitor Dell Computer added his voice to the chorus when asked what could be done to fix the Mac maker. His solution was a drastic one.

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Michael Dell said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

Dell's comments follow Steve Jobs's keynote address at the Seybold trade show last week in San Francisco, where the Apple cofounder seemed to win over attendees with his explanation of why he had made certain key decisions, killing the clone market and aligning more closely with Microsoft. The Seybold crowd--as well as some Apple employees--also seemed to be buoyed by the increasing role Jobs has taken on at the company as board member and interim CEO.

But others, like Dell, appear to think that Jobs's expanded role isn't helping. There is some concern that Apple will have a hard time recruiting a top-notch CEO because of Jobs's presence.

And so, to answer your question - yes, I have a lot of proof that "Dell is desperately trying to stay in business or that "not a lot of people" find Dell Venue tablets or android tablets to be "terrific"?" If a lot of people actually found Dell or HP or the Surface Pro to be desirable, they'd sell equipment profitably. They can't.

Now - show me I'm wrong and you're right.

People here are always complaining that Sony products don't hold their resale value. Actually, compared to tablets sold by Dell, HP or Microsoft, they hold their value like 24 carat gold bricks

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow