ISO Dial Obsession

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
Re: ISO Dial Obsession
In reply to rich789, 8 months ago

For me, the ISO dial addresses my biggest ergonomic gripe I have with my X-Pro1 when compared to my Nikon D7000.

Now, if you shoot in auto-ISO a lot, it's not a big deal. But my favorite shooting mode is in Aperture Priority, and I like to manually set the ISO in order to get the shutter speed I want. On my D7000, while in "A" mode, I could change the ISO value by simply spinning a dial, and see the SS change in the viewfinder as I changed the ISO. No guessing - you know instantly exactly what SS you are going to get. This is especially important if you are using a zoom lens, where the minimum shutter speed is focal length dependent, or if you move quickly from a static scene to a moving scene, like in a urban shooting scenario.

On the X-Pro1, I have to use a menu, and that sucks, because I have to guess which ISO value to choose in order to get the SS I want. Press the Fn key, use the arrow keys to pick a value, then a half-press of the shutter button to confirm, and then look at the resulting SS, hoping I got it right. If not, do it again and hopefully not miss the shot.  On the Nikon it was simply spin the dial and shoot.  This is what the ISO knob will get a Fuji shooter, and it does make a difference.

Yes, you can shoot in manual mode and use auto-iso instead, but you have to be careful not to under or over expose the shot. Not the end of the world, but also not as convenient and bullet-proof (in terms of nailing the exposure under duress) as the Nikon approach.

In the end, I suspect this comes down to "I don't mind taking my time composing the shot" vs. "I want the camera to be as efficient as possible." I get the former mind-set, and agree with it, to an extent. But this is one area I wish my X-Pro1 would be as efficient as my D7000.

What's really frustrating is that the X-Pro1 (and other X bodies) have a rear dial that could fulfill this function perfectly. A firmware update is all it needs for my shooting bliss. Perhaps after the X-T1 has been out for a while Fuji will see the light and upgrade the older bodies.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow