Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,028
Like?
Re: Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 5 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

That was not my supposition. Here is what they wrote in the Introduction:

His remark on being immune to the limited magic is what struck me as being biased. It's implying that the quality is in the users head and nowhere else.

He says it's not a bad lens, it's just not a good lens either. He harps on it being overpriced, and compares it negatively to the Sigma 1.8 zoom.

To be fair, I think the siggy won lens of the year. Even with the fact that the lenses have different design goals, I think we have to acknowledge that Ricoh couldn't have had worse luck releasing the 20-40 so close to the 18-35. It's like the bar was raised mid sprint.

True, maybe the bar was raised but I gather they wouldn't have given the HD DA 20-40 a glowing review even if the Sigma wasn't out there first. The reviewer is implying this lens doesn't match the optical excellence of prior Limited lenses, either.

No, I doubt it would have been glowing. But it might have not been as negative

Build quality and aesthetics are icing on the cake, IMHO. The optical performance has to be there first. Doesn't this call into question when was the last time Pentax designed a truly superior performing lens? Do they still have the expertise?

Superior is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. The 560mm took some know how, even if it wasn't head and shoulders above its peers.

I think the limiteds are at a dead end. What holes are there that need filling? 15, 21, 31, 40, 43, 70, 77, 20-40, and a DA* 55 in the one gap. It's unlikely they can go longer or shorter as telephotos can't be compacted and extreme wide angles on a DSLR are pretty big too. Before mirrorless came about, the small Pentax bodies and limited lenses were a great way to have a compact high quality kit. Now there are viable alternatives for those who don't require an OVF. I think the limiteds will be in the lineup for a long time, but I can't see the need to develop more.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow