Surprise: Olympus E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,137Gear list
Like?
the answer should be obvious ...
In reply to Alexis D, 10 months ago

Alexis D wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

So, that's why the E-M1 is so un-interesting in terms of IQ, even without an AA filter. It is a great camera, but only because of all the other features, not IQ.

Sigh ... if you want an objective measure of the EM5 against the EM1 and, say, the GX7 as the latest Panny high end sensor, then check out DXOMark ...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___909_901_793

What you will find is that in every category, they are all tied, or the EM1 leads. But the overall difference, as has been true for a long time in m4/3, is marginal. The EM1 leads by .3 to .4 stops, which is basically trivial ...

Whatever it is you base your "IQ" comments on, I suspect that they are rather long on bias and short on critical analysis ...

-- hide signature --

On what do you base your suspicion on? DXO scores?

The answer here should have been obvious by my wording, but we'll clearly require a sledge hammer to break through that smug bias ...

I am the last person to sit there and whinge over DXOMark scores ... I have always used the cameras with lower DXO scores and didn't care a whit ... because a photographer who cannot get an excellent image from any modern camera is just plain lacking skills.

On the other hand, DXOMark scores do show the potential of the sensor. And here we are talking about no loss of potential for the EM1 ... but rather a tie pretty much across the board with any (very slim) advantages going to the EM1 itself.

My IQ comments are based on well published material.

I love this kind of writing. Is "well published" a euphemism for something like "published?"

You know, where they actually managed to not, not publish it?

Read some reviews and know that the E-M1 is not better than the E-M5, which is about the same as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GX7.

Which is exactly what I said. Which was in fact my whole point.

Biased people (you know who you are) buy what you think is the best based on preformed conceptions of what matters ... to you, the Sony sensor is what allowed the EM5 to be so "great" and thus the use of a Panny sensor means that this "greatness" is somehow missing, despite the fact that the measured responses certainly show that the Panny sensor is better than the previous Sony sensor ...

On the other hand, I have examined dozens and dozens of images from the top m4/3 cameras and have processed many raw images and published the comparisons on my blog.

People who do what I do and have no sensor based biases end up concluding that there is little reason to buy one brand over the other based solely on IQ. But instead that one should buy based on the features one needs or desires and the budget to which one is limited.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow