Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
In reply to GossCTP, 8 months ago

GossCTP wrote:

citrontokyo wrote:

"As our test showed, the Pentax HD DA 20–40 mm f/2.8–4.0 ED Limited DC WR is not such a pearl of a lens so it seems to be aimed only at the biggest fans of that brand, still remembering and venerating the legend of the cult Limited lenses which, currently, is becoming more and more tarnished."

This doesn't sound like a positive review.

"New users and those immune to the Limited magic will be hardly encouraged by this instrument to enter the Pentax system."

While I have no interest in the 20-40, the reviewer sounds a bit biased against the limited category of lenses in general.

That was not my supposition. Here is what they wrote in the Introduction:

"It was launched in November 2013; its narrow focal range, average aperture fastness and being a part of the famous Limited series seem to promise you very good optical properties."

He says it's not a bad lens, it's just not a good lens either. He harps on it being overpriced, and compares it negatively to the Sigma 1.8 zoom.

To be fair, I think the siggy won lens of the year. Even with the fact that the lenses have different design goals, I think we have to acknowledge that Ricoh couldn't have had worse luck releasing the 20-40 so close to the 18-35. It's like the bar was raised mid sprint.

True, maybe the bar was raised but I gather they wouldn't have given the HD DA 20-40 a glowing review even if the Sigma wasn't out there first.  The reviewer is implying this lens doesn't match the optical excellence of prior Limited lenses, either.

Sorry, but you really have to spin this to make it sound in any way better than the 18-55 kit zoom, which is smaller, lighter, also WR, and a quarter of the price!

I wouldn't go that far. I'm pretty sure the build quality and aesthetics are quite a bit above the kit lens. That's always been a large part of the limited appeal. Imagine an FA 31 built like an FA-J lens. It wouldn't have flown.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Build quality and aesthetics are icing on the cake, IMHO. The optical performance has to be there first. Doesn't this call into question when was the last time Pentax designed a truly superior performing lens? Do they still have the expertise?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow