Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to seraiah, 7 months ago

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

I would seriously question whether even the best tablet is the right option for post processing, and more critically for backing up. I will leave it to the tablet fans to fight out which is the best tablet, but what I think you need is a mini laptop, or something which can be both laptop and tablet - see below.

I have always taken a laptop on holidays and trips so that I can back up my photos. What I tend to do these days now that memory cards are so cheap is take sufficient cards to not have to re-use any of them while away, and back up any new photos every evening to the laptop. This means I have two copies at all times. I make sure the camera and laptop are kept apart so that losing one or having it stolen does not necessarily mean losing all my photos, and as soon as a card is full I store this elsewhere from either camera or laptop.

Over the years my laptops have gotten smaller and more portable - I particularly like the 13" and 11" Macbook Air models, though I prefer to run Windows on them which is reasonably easy using the Apple Bootcamp facility. You just need to ensure that your windows partition has most of the disk space if that is where you intend to backup and edit your photos - and this can be a challenge on SSD equipped laptops which have lower capacity than devices with conventional hard disk drives. For reviewing and editing I use Lightroom which can work on Mac OS or Windows.

My most recent acquisition is an Asus T100 which is a very neat device. This is a fully fledged 10" tablet/laptop running the full version of Windows 8.1 which, unlike the limited Windows RT on some similar devices, can run normal Windows applications like Lightroom. When connected to the keyboard it is a fully functional laptop, when disconnected it is a slim 10" Windows tablet. The keyboard unit has a full sized USB 3.0 socket which means you can plug a fast USD 3.0 card reader into it to download photos. We also use this to plug into a USB 3.0 docking station which allows my wife to connect a full sized monitor and keyboard/mouse so that she can use this at her desk as her home PC.

The only problem with this device is that the base model only has a 32GB SSD which does not have enough spare space to backup lots of photos, though it can be upgraded by up 64GB with the onboard MicroSD slot. There is also a 64GB SSD model, and I got the variant of this which also has a further 500GB conventional HDD housed in the detachable keyboard, so obviously only usable when the keyboard is attached. This runs Adobe Lightroom entirely satisfactorily for use away from home to review photos and do some editing.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow