Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
breeze_of_wind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
A Photo shoot in Souuth Africa -- Part 1
6 months ago

I have just returned from a Cape Town and Kruger South African vacation.  Seventeen total days, ten of which involved taking photos of animals.  In Cape Town I spent one day on a local safari, two days going to Cape Point, and one day on a west coast birding excursion.  In the Kruger area I stayed five nights at the Serondella Lodge at the Thorny Bush Game Reserve.  A trip of a lifetime.

Having made the plan, I came prepared and let me first share with you the gear I took and the utility of that gear.

(1) I used the Tamrac 5588 backpack -- it was a joy, held all of my gear and was comfortable on the back.   At the same time I only used this backpack to carry the gear on the plane and to my destinations.  When I went into the field I carried a few lenses in a smaller fold-up bag.

(2) The Pentax macro 200mm -- my favorite lens.  But in this case it was hardly ever used.

(3) The Pentax 18-135.  A useful lens in the bush.

(3) The Sigma 100-300.  The most used and useful lens on the trip.

(4) The Sigma 500mm f4.5 with a FS-Pro shoulder strap.  A heavy beast, but it worked well in this configuration.  I took it out on only two days and was glad I did.

In this Part 1 report, I present 10 images that were captured with the Sigma 500mm f4.5  The first four images were taken on a trip to a bird island on the northwest coast -- there are images of Gannetts, seagulls, and a pelican.

The next six images come from the Thorny Bush Game Reserve.  We see a warthog, a herron, and impala.

John Morrris

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow