ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JSN2013
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Question on Ultra-wide lens for Nikon FX
6 months ago

Hello all,

Fiist of all tks very much for the excellent views on my previously gear choice. After a lot of  reading, I ended up with a Nikon d610, a 24-85f3.5-4.5 and just got the superb 70-200f4.

I am very satisfied with my choice. I take photos of people portrait, street photos, landscapes and also, from music concerts and dance shows. I like macro photo and consider buying a Nikon 105f2.8 macro at some point in time.

My next step will be to add a ultra wide lens and a have a few options, strategies that I would like to listen to your views. It is important to mention that weight is a factor since I don' t like traveling a huge amount of equipment (I also think that the least amount of equipment the better the photos become).

1-my first choice is to add a 16-35f4 to my line. I think that the 16-35 + 70-200 combo is a nice 2 lens travel combo and if I want to go even lighter I could go with the 16-35 + 105macro and use the second one to street/portrait (i read it is pretty sharp then). Problem here is that I think 16-35 is a big lens for carry around (and I would still need a second one).

2-second choice is to go a bit lighter (and cheaper) and add a 18-35f3.4-4.5 to my line. It is 500usd cheaper and 300g lighter. It is abviously a weaker IQ but with plus on the weight and cost. Ps: since this is for landscape, I don't  bother that much with the slower apperture.

3-third choice is to add a ultrawide prime and carry 3 lenses. One possibility would be the 'old and criticized' nikon 20mmf2.8 af-d. Good price, light choice, but maybe too close to the 24-85. A higher end would be the zeiss 18mm/3.5 (same price as 16-35) or the zeiss 21/2.8 (same price of the  "Ferrari of the ultrawides" 14-24 which is too expensive and heavy for me unfortunately. There is a 14f2.8 which is same price as 16-35, and even lighter.

Ps: I prefer to stay with nikon line up so the only 3rd party lens I consider is Zeiss.

Please send your thoughts...

José

JSN2013's gear list:JSN2013's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow