Just picked up a Sigma 35mm 1.4 for my 5Dc. What are your testing recommendations ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unicursalhexagram
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Just picked up a Sigma 35mm 1.4 for my 5Dc. What are your testing recommendations ?
5 months ago

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to mine your collective consciousness for your tried and tested methods of testing third party lenses.

As its a Sigma there's always the possibility of the reverse engineered algorithm not getting it quite right all the time. So, whilst I'm still in the return period, I wanted to ask what your recommended ways of testing a lens for front/back/distance focus.

There's the method of putting it on a tripod, aiming it at an autofocus test chart like the one here : http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart but I was wondering if there's anything else e.g accepted ways of seeing how a 35mm lens performs for subjects at a distance and what is considered anomalous.

Also, given that there's a Sigma dock out for finetuning focus where could I read up about the methodology behind the fine tuning ? Is it just a case of playing around with settings at each distance scale setting or is there a nice summary somewhere that can explain the theory behind it ?

Many thanks in advance ! Looking forward to hearing your tips.

Igor

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow