ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GaborF
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?
Suggestion needed: Macro and portrait - DX with 60mm f2.8 vs 105mm f2.8
8 months ago

Hi everyone,

Currently I am missing a macro lens, that I intend to use as a portrait lens as well. While I know great portrait lenses (50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8) right now I intend to get away with a macro lens used for portait as well (and likely get 85mm f1.8 later).

So I have been torn apart looking at the statistics: have used the 60mm f2,8 I find it an amazing lens on the D7100 - its great for both macros and portraits (emotional plus). However the 105mm version has VR (plus), it complements my zoom ranges with existing 16-85mm (plus 2), and is considered the best macro lens (plus 3). But the price... is steep (60mm used is appr. 60-70% cheaper).

Questions:

- Have you used the 105mm on a DX for portraits and what were your findings?

- Is f2,8 more "thin" with he 105mm compared to f2,8 with 60mm, hence with 105mm smaller apertures must be used for the same effect (VR could compensate though)?

- If you had both, your views on this?

I will need to fight with myself over the cost - it will be a tough fight if I intend to go with the 105mm....

Thanks in advance!

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow