keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
Re: SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light
In reply to boardsy, 9 months ago

boardsy wrote:

joe6pack wrote:

keeponkeepingon wrote:

Question: For low light which would be better: RAW and Lightroom to rescue exposure issues or jpeg and rely on the camera's wizardy to nail the exposure and compensate for the low light?

thanks!

You are really asking if you should use RAW or JPEG. The exposure is fixed regardless of RAW or JPEG. If you want good image quality, shoot both. RAW will definitely give you more details but your software needs to know how to do lens compensation.

RAW + LR gives you much more leeway than pp'ing JPG to recover low exposure/shadows - in fact if you ever need over iso800, you may as well stay at iso800, shoot dim, and boost brightness later in raw/lr (the camera is merely doing the same thing - boosting brightness after sensor exposure - but giving you less control and the risk of blowing highlights). And you still have the JPGs if you want them.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Agreed. I love and use LR a lot and yeah I do find myself counter-intuitively "exposing to the left" on occasion to boost shutter speed or avoid blow highlights. Speaking of highlights RAW is not just good for low light/high ISO.  With RAW I do a lot better recovering what look like blown highlights in the jpeg. If it's blown it's blown but if it's on the edge you can work with the RAW while the jpeg will be toast (for example clouds).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow