Surprise: Olympus E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
Re: a little long on bias it would seem ...
In reply to Alexis D, 7 months ago

Alexis D wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

So, that's why the E-M1 is so un-interesting in terms of IQ, even without an AA filter. It is a great camera, but only because of all the other features, not IQ.

Sigh ... if you want an objective measure of the EM5 against the EM1 and, say, the GX7 as the latest Panny high end sensor, then check out DXOMark ...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___909_901_793

What you will find is that in every category, they are all tied, or the EM1 leads. But the overall difference, as has been true for a long time in m4/3, is marginal. The EM1 leads by .3 to .4 stops, which is basically trivial ...

Whatever it is you base your "IQ" comments on, I suspect that they are rather long on bias and short on critical analysis ...

-- hide signature --

On what do you base your suspicion on? DXO scores?

My IQ comments are based on well published material. Read some reviews and know that the E-M1 is not better than the E-M5, which is about the same as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GX7. Any improvement in E-M1's IQ is trivial at best, and in some cases, not really improvement but rather deterioration, but again trivial. There are numerous reviews already and they all say the same thing, that there is little improvement in IQ in the E-M1, which is what I said.  How is that long on bias?

So now we know that the M1 has a Panasonic sensor and not a Sony one, it now becomes an undesirable camera to own.

Interesting .

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow