Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't make fuss out of it — just replace it
In reply to tcom, 6 months ago

tcom wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

me_tarzan wrote:

Fair comment but it's just that in so many years of being a Pentax user (film and digital), this is the first time that I've had a new Pentax that has a glaring mechanical fault. I've seen software issues with Pentax. They were irritating but rain getting into a weatherproof camera is a fundamental fail. Pentax is such a respected name, their equipment has been used by professionals and amateurs for 60 years. I just hope that this experience of mine isn't a harbinger of Pentax's future.

You did a good job of testing it out in adverse weather.

Then do yourself another favour, and don't make too much fuss out of this — it happens, and you can get a new one. You are covered.

A few months ago, I would have given the same reply. But in the meantime, I have learned that water ingress is a reason for Ricoh to void the warranty. It is now up to Ricoh to decide whether they honor the warranty or voiding it.

I wish good luck to the original poster.

Not only did I have to pay a new camera after Ricoh voided the warranty, I also had to pay a service tax since the 10 months old camera was not anymore under warranty...

My mistake was to have used the K5 IIs in the fog on an afternoon with a non weather sealed lens, the DA15. Even if the analyses of the inner parts of the camera points to a defect in the seal of the AF/MF switch, Ricoh does not mind, water ingress is a reason to void the warranty.

My lessons learned is not to use a weather sealed Ricoh camera again in adverse conditions without weather sealed lens. I also took an insurance on photo equipment covering a wide range of damages, even water ingress and hope in case of a similar problem, the insurance will deal with Ricoh on why they exclude the seals from the warranty on weather sealed equipment.

On a side note, I ended up replacing the k5 IIs by buying two K3. I figured out I will cover the one or other stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race next year and even if my Nikon D4 should not have a problem resisting to the adverse conditions, it remains cheaper to replace the K3 than the D4.

Did you ever find out with your k5IIs what the oxidation was caused by salt or poor quality casting ?

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow