MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,176
Like?
I think...
In reply to Gravi, 8 months ago

Gravi wrote:

Superzoom2 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying my first ever MFT camera, an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with 14-42 EZ lens.

I've had lots of compacts and DSLR's, mostly Canon. Once in a while, you have these beautiful blurry background pics when the lens and aperture combination are right. I am a former pro photog, and understand fully camera optics and depth-of-field physics.

I just want to know if you sometimes miss the easily attainable shallow depth-of-field that you usually get with an APS-C or bigger sensor camera.

I know you can buy fast MFT lenses for more aperture control, but I'm probably going to just stick with a cheap 14-42 for various reasons.

Thanks!

You ask for the difference with APS-C camera's. The difference is not that obvious. You can still get lovely shallow DoF images.

If you compare with fullframe cameras the difference is more obvious. The more extreme shallow DoF images you can get with these (combined with fast glass) cannot be achieved with micro fourthirds.

But personally I find that micro fourthirds gives enough possibilities to play with shallow DoF, you just have to be a bit more aware of the situation, aperture, and composition. I would advise you to add a faster prime to the kit mentioned, such as the 45mm f1.8 which is not overly expensive and really opens up the shallow DoF capability of the system.

...that's a rather good way to say it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow