MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
biggles266
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Yes
In reply to Superzoom2, 9 months ago

It's my #1 thing I'm not happy with with m43. I know I can fiddle around with metabones and manual focus to get more shallow dof, but it's costly too, not as practical, and still can't do the extreme shallow dof. The 42.5mm f1.2 lens looks very very nice, but to be honest I think I would rather spend that kind of money on a used FF camera and a single prime lens.

I don't think you'll get many unbiased opinions on this forum though. I think secretly deep down inside a lot of m43 users wish they could get shallower dof. At least for portraits. I see a lot of people claiming things like 'shallow dof is just such a fad, it will get out of date soon', or 'shallow dof is usually just a way of hiding poor photography' etc. but I don't believe it. I've got the 45mm 1.8, which is supposed to be quite nice for shallow dof, but it's really not as good as I expected. m43 has other strengths though.

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow