MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,291Gear list
Like?
Depends on what?
In reply to Gravi, 10 months ago

Gravi wrote:

You ask for the difference with APS-C camera's. The difference is not that obvious. You can still get lovely shallow DoF images.

I think the difference between APS-C and smaller formats is noticeable for two reasons, 1) it is almost by a stop wider frame, and 2) it always had more available fast lenses than there were at smaller formats disposal. Recent mFT is seemingly catching up with fast primes, but most of them are still not f/1.4 lenses, and the format will not change.

If you compare with fullframe cameras the difference is more obvious. The more extreme shallow DoF images you can get with these (combined with fast glass) cannot be achieved with micro fourthirds.

Unless you use some exotics, like f/1 and below manual focus primes. Those are neither affordable for what they are, nor quality comparable at wide open at the same blur.

But personally I find that micro fourthirds gives enough possibilities to play with shallow DoF, you just have to be a bit more aware of the situation, aperture, and composition.

What if the situation does not present itself, like busy backgrounds, not enough space, the frame is too wide to capture, ..etc.? Sounds like most of the scenarios one would encounter on day to day shooting. Unless you are in a big studio of course.

I would advise you to add a faster prime to the kit mentioned, such as the 45mm f1.8 which is not overly expensive and really opens up the shallow DoF capability of the system.

90/3.6 would be neither here no there on a full frame camera.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow