Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nezza555
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
D5100 plus 80-400mm lens
6 months ago

I have a D5100 camera and a 55-300mm lens and take lots of photos of birds and children's sport. A lot of the time I crop the photos quite heavily (maybe to 1/4 of the original area), partially because I push the limits at the 300mm end and partially because by taking a wider photo I have a better likelihood of covering the action. Fairly often I miss shots because the auto-focus doesn't work fast enough.
I am considering buying a AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens for the extra reach and faster auto-focus and hoping that the quality of the detail in the cropped images will improve. However, no-one ever seems to post online about using these two (camera+lens) together and I'm wondering if there's more to it than the relative prices of the two. I realise that this is a big lens for the D5100 and that the combination will feel unbalanced.
Do you think I'm likely to be disappointed? Will the mismatch in weight be unworkable? Will the auto-focus still work very quickly? Or should I wait until I've bought a better camera before venturing on to this type of lens?

Nez

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow