Veteran MemberPosts: 5,386
Like?
Re: EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 7 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Impulses wrote:

I think it's kinda odd the inner workings of camera manufactures are obscured to such a degree that you need Chipworks scans just to find out some basic info on a sensor.

no, Panasonic openly published spec of the sensor several month ago = http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds8/c3/IS00006AE.pdf (that is unlike Sony, which doesn't)... they simply did not say that it was used in E-M1.

PDAF or not, I'm simply curious why Olympus got it several (could be many) months earlier in E-M1 than Panasonic in GH4 if it's a Panasonic sensor.

you are not surprised why Sony Imaging got 36mp sensor years after Nikon ? probably because Panasonic division making cameras were late with GH4 design and Panasonic division making sensors wanted $$$ now at that time... who knows... ChipWorks shows that it is Panasonic sensor, that's it...

I suspect it has a lot to do with Olympus' decision to use Sony sensors in the E-M5, E-P5, etc.!

Previously Panasonic held back it's best sensors which gave them a competitive advantage. Olympus showed them that they weren't the only game in town and told them that Panasonic could sell them their top-of-the-line sensor or else go pound sand and Olympus would stick with Sony.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow