Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,570Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to seraiah, 6 months ago

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

I am coming up on 4 years using an iPad for on-the-road post-processing, starting with an iPad 1 and now an iPad 3. I have used an iPad for PP throughout the EU, UK, the Middle East and South America. I have processed, emailed and stored on Dropbox tens of thousands of Nikon and Sony images on my iPad.

In that time, dozens of non-Apple tablets have come and gone, as have multiple versions of the Android operating systems. Microsoft lost $93 million trying to sell the Surface in 2013, which has poor battery life, a bloated operating system that overwhelms its memory capacity, and quite likely to be discontinued by the new CEO appointed last week as the company refocuses on server software.

For the past 4 years, I have used Photogene, an editing program similar to Photoelements. The latest version actually edits RAW images. However, within the next few weeks, Adobe will introduce an iOS (iPad) version of Lightroom. From that point on, there is no question whatsoever - the only tablet for serious on-the-road post-processing will be the iPad Air. Its A7 processor and the broad range of great photo apps - now and in the future - make it the logical tablet choice. The only other choice might be a similarly powered iPad Mini. While the cost of iPad memory is excessive, you will regret getting a model with less than 64GB - 128GB is ideal.

There are many who will argue that there are Android tablets that are cheaper with equal or superior screens, that the unpopular Surface tablets can be picked up for much less than an iPad. To date, Apple has sold more than 200 million iPads, and is committed to manufacturing more, including a reputed iPad Pro with a 13-inch screen. They get the best apps, and you will find excellent video editing apps like Pinnacle, too.

Bottom line - IMO there are cheaper tablets, but none better, and none with the likelihood of longterm value and flexibility like the iPad. It is not yet equal to the MacBook Air, but the MacBook Air today lacks a retina screen. It's reported Apple is working on one for 2015-2016.

You should have no problem finding a used iPad 3 or even an iPad 4 with 64GB for your $500 budget.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow