Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lynn876
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
D800 soft? pixel peeping
6 months ago

Hello, first off, Yes, I'm a pixel peeper, and I'm fine with that.

I'm looking at getting a D800, however.... I've been to pixel peepers today and all images I've looked at at full resolution seem soft to me. I downloaded one and sharpened it, both with a good sharpen filter and a very fine micro contrast filter and I'm a bit disappointed. Lots of artifacts show.

I currently have a D7000 which has a smaller sensor, but I'm thinking if sensors are compared at the same size I might like my D7000 better.

Is there a setting on the D800 which increases sharpness of the sensor or is it just inherent? I guess there is an anti alias layer of glass in the D800. I'm guessing this might soften things up a bit?

And does anyone here work outside with sports or wildlife with a D800E? Is the moire issue all that bad? Is there more flare or more artifacts?

I like the idea of being able to print large, but the IQ in terms of sharpness and clarity doesn't seem like it's there yet. It just looks bigger and I'm not sure if I stretched the D700's images if they would look any worse? Or maybe I'm comparing JPGs to NEFs and it's like apples and oranges?

Would like any feedback from others, particularly those who look closely.

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow