EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 7 months ago

What other consumer electronics market still behaves that way tho? I guess commodity stuff like DVRs or house phones or something like that (altho there's still an enthusiast community around Tivo or HTPCs)... Maybe it's the dual personality of cameras as hobbyist/pro tools, maybe not. I know more about even the drivers used on most of my headphones (some used for pro music production) or the emitters on my flashlights than I know about the insides of my cameras.

Even in the borderline snake oil world of high end audio gear the internal components are usually more openly discussed... In fact, it's widely recognized that the actual implementation is still very important, you can have all the hot chips and still design a perfectly mediocre $1,000 amplifier or DAC.

That's always gonna be true of cameras, the UI and other external factors play such a large role that the secrecy over the tech seems even more unnecessary. I'd say there's a golden opportunity here for some combination of manufacturer + blogger/tech journalist to buck the trend here... Specially amongst the smaller players.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow