EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,482Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks
In reply to Impulses, 5 months ago

Impulses wrote:

I think it's kinda odd the inner workings of camera manufactures are obscured to such a degree that you need Chipworks scans just to find out some basic info on a sensor... Maybe it's because the vast majority of customers don't care what's inside or whatever, but it sorta gives a lot of undue freedom to the manufacturers. Other industries behave vastly different in this regard, not sure whether it's due to the basic nature of the customers or the more technical underpinnings of the business.

A sports car manufacturer could never be as vague about the engine used as camera makers are about sensors, even car electronics are better understood... Never mind markets like smartphones & PCs where OEMs (or Intel/AMD) are constantly pressured to reveal more about their architectures (even a company as secretive as Apple only gets so far in purposely obscuring these things). Those markets are just different I guess, but the breadth of info available shapes not only buying decisions but market investment decisions.

Camera manufacturing is still very "backward" in this sense.  I can understand the need for secrecy during development, but after release they still seem to have this sort of secrecy code among the various suppliers.  I think it has more to do with the camera manufacturers.  They probably do not want to have their sensors clearly identified as consumers will then be able to judge/compare the IQ of cameras too easily, i.e. no more hype and marketing trickery or big mark-ups, say, if sensor models are all made known like PC CPUs, or laptop LCD panels.  Particularly for the bigger manufacturer with deep marketing pockets, they can then continue to sell boring old sensor cameras to dumb consumers and make good profits.    I don't know why manufacturers like Olympus need to hide this information if they are using a high performance sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow