EM-1 uses Panasonic sensor per Chipworks

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic could be just subcontractor
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

Does anyone actually care so long as the sensor performs well?

Why is this attitude so pervasive on these forums? It's not like DPR is even a site about photography technique, it's about gear. I don't need to know that Apple licenses the ARM ISA and then designs a fully custom SoC to use a phone to great effect, but articles (like those that Anandtech publishes) about the silicon that goes into current smartphones and tablets are still very illuminating... And yes, they even shape buying decisions.

It's not ALL about the experience, or the performance, or the specs... It's a combination of ALL of it. If you don't care to know how things work and why that's fine, but the condescending attitude towards those that do is wholly unnecessary. I happen to think that the better people understand the tools they use the more they can squeeze out of them AND the more they can demand out of the companies that make said tools.

Just knowing that Olympus is STILL using Panasonic sensors (regardless of which and on what camera) is kinda huge IMO... It means there's either a very good technical reason for it or they don't get quite as much of a bulk discount of Sony sensors as some would assume. If the latter is true it can make Panasonic's lower end models with older sensors look just a little more half hearted, etc (and I'm happy with my humble GF btw, and I don't use an iPhone).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow